Curbside Waste Collection Program
The Curbside Waste Collection Program is provided to residents based on geographical density and cost-effective service.
Curbside Waste Collection is provided on two (2) routes;
- Rural Collection Route: collecting waste and recycling materials from the communities of Dugald, Anola, Glass, Vivian, Hazelridge, Cooks Creek;
- Urban Collection Route: collecting waste and recycling materials within the Town of Oakbank;
The current program employs Emterra Environmental as our Curbside Waste Collection service provider, and has been since 2013.
What is an Automated Cart Based System?
- An Automated Cart Based System involves the use of a single Waste Collection Truck with mechanical arms that pick up and tip the contents of the Cart (Waste or Recycling) into the truck’s collection container for clean, quick and easy waste collection service.
What Does This Mean For You?
- All rural and urban collection route residences will be switched to the Automated Cart Based System with an expected In-Service Date of May 2nd, 2021;
- Each residence will receive 2 – 240 L (64 USG) Waste Container (1 Grey for Waste and 1 Blue for Mixed Recyclables), complete with individual barcode and unique identifier to each residence;
As part of the upgrade to the Automated Cart Based System (ACBS), the Service Provider (Emterra) and the Water and Waste Department have worked to refine an updated Waste and Recycling Collection Schedule Change to improve service in Municipality.
RURAL ROUTE COLLECTION (Dugald, Anola, Glass, Vivian, Hazelridge, Cooks Creek) -Moving to MONDAY from TUESDAY weekly
NORTHWEST QUADRANT OAKBANK - Moving to TUESDAY from THURSDAY weekly
SOUTHWEST QUADRANT OAKBANK - Moving to WEDNESDAY from THURSDAY weekly
NORTHEAST QUADRANT OAKBANK + DUGALD* - Moving to THURSDAY from FRIDAY weekly
SOUTHEAST QUADRANT OAKBANK - Staying on FRIDAY from FRIDAY weekly
*Please see updated route collection schedule below
ROUTE / QUADRANT COLLECTION
NEW DAY SCHEDULE
OLD DAY SCHEDULE
NORTHEAST OAKBANK + DUGALD
WHY THE CHANGE TO THE SCHEDULE?
As part of the length of the Agreement, Emterra is providing a brand-new Automated Waste and Recycling Collection Truck allocated specifically to RM of Springfield Program. The new truck aims to improve reliability while reducing spills and leaks that have occurred in the past.
Whereas previously, Emterra provided service with two (2) trucks over the weekly collection period, the new truck and crew is dedicated specially to the Municipality which will increase familiarity of the routes and reliability of the system. There will always be an Emterra Waste Collection Truck in the Municipality Monday through Friday.
On a daily basis, the collection truck will make its rounds collecting the first waste stream (waste or recycling) and disposing of the product before returning and collecting the second waste stream (waste or recycling). By modifying the schedule, the program can accommodate service growth in the communities over the next 5 years.
Accepted Curbside Waste Collection System Recyclables
Unaccepted Curbside Waste Collection System Recyclables
- All recyclable materials can be placed co-mingled in bags or bins. When in doubt please check the number on the plastic material to see if it is recyclable. If there is no number it is not a recyclable material.
- At curbside all material listed above can be placed loosely in your blue box. Please place newspapers in a plastic clear bag, or shopping bag left open in your blue box or beside your blue box. Cardboard should be folded square, tied and placed beside your blue box.
If you have any questions, or need information on how you can reduce, reuse and recycle, contact the Water and Waste Department at 204-444-7359 between 7:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Thursday or between 7:00 am and 3:30 pm on Friday.